Last weekend started by an early morning coffee run, followed by a quick trip to HomeSense and HomeDepot for some supplies, sand paper, flat paint and paint brushes. We purchased a 'flat' black paint (1 quart), fine sandpaper, paint brushes, staples, and the material we purchased from Fabricland.
Finally getting everything we needed we proceeded to head home and change into our work clothes. Now the fun begins…First we needed to sand all the pieces we intended on painting, table and four chairs. This time I had two more helpers so the sanding went quickly! Remember, we are only scuffing up the top layer, this makes it much easier for the new paint to stick.
Next we cleaned up the mess of the sanding. Not only did we clean up our work area we cleaned off the table and chairs. Make sure to cover the materials you don't want to get dirty from the dust (it gets pretty messy)!
As my helpers waited for the table and chairs to dry off so they could begin to paint I moved into the other room and started on the recovering of the seats. I placed the entire piece of material on the floor then put each one of the seats on it. This not only gave me the sense of where to put the seats but also to see the best placement for maximum usage of the material.
After the placement, I started cutting, leaving enough around the seat to have a generous overlap. The overlap is what I will be stapling to the underneath of the seat. I started with the corners pulling the centre in first the overlapping the sides to make a tidy corner. Then stapling each corner to the bottom of the seat. Next move around the seat stapling each side, move about 4 cm apart, stapling as you go. Remember to pull the material tot t make sure the material doesn’t move around on the new seat.
In total it took me a half hour to complete all four chairs, and cost us under five dollars to recover all four!
As I was working on the seat recovering my helpers were working hard on painting the table and chairs. This took us a little bit longer then the recovering but by the mid morning the next day, Sunday… it was all dry and the seats were reattached!
This total project took us under two days and looks amazing. This young lady's apartment has a "Kate Spade" vibe throughout each room, so it's fitting the kitchen now matches the overall theme! A cheers to Kate Spade for making our weekend very worth while and for giving us wonderful decorating ideas.
Thanks for letting me show you the simplicity of my life as I turn it into something chic!